Pin It

machines rahul jain rana plaza factory sweatshop
Machines still Courtesy of Jann Pictures

The documentary exposing the nighttime reality of fast style

We encounter Machines director Rahul Jain, whose hit new moving-picture show snagged the Sundance World Cinema Documentary laurels for Cinematography – watch a clip here

The fast mode manufacture has come up under much scrutiny in contempo years, with documentaries and journalistic exposés revealing the inhumane conditions suffered by manufacturing plant workers worldwide at the hands of multi-one thousand thousand dollar clothing bondage (non to mention the buyers turning a blind eye to the question of where their apparel come up from). But while at that place's certainly a greater awareness surrounding such bug, the fight for a more ethical approach to fashion is far from over – a betoken hammered dwelling in Machines, a poignant new film from first-time director Rahul Jain.

For his take on the subject, Jain ventures inside one vast textile mill in Gujarat, India, capturing its inner-workings in breathtakingly cinematic detail. For the first 13 minutes, there is no dialogue. Instead, sweeping camera work guides usa dizzyingly around every nook and cranny of the labyrinthine space. The commencement matter you notice are the towering, grayness machines, guzzling up brightly coloured fabrics similar giant robots. Then you notice the men – and boys – no less mechanical in their precision and skill as they mix dyes, stoke furnaces and prime number material. When they're not working, the labourers steal a moment's residuum – sleeping on bundles of white material, or stopping to chew tobacco to give themselves a lift. No music accompanies the footage, just the rhythmic whirring and ticking of machinery. When a small boy drifts in and out of slumber while straightening out fabric as it filters through his designated machine, the effect is almost contagious.

Indeed, what makes the film so effective is the manner in which Jain plunges the viewer into the workers' world, never forcing drama or action, instead patiently documenting the exhausting monotony of their task. When there is dialogue, we hear from the workers themselves – and at ane bespeak from their fat-cat boss, who affair-of-factly tells the camera that he shouldn't pay them so well as they're much more dedicated to the business when their bellies are empty. By "so well", nosotros discover, he means 3 US dollars per 12-60 minutes shift and most of the workers accept just i hr's break between shifts, such are the financial pressures of providing for their families. The men hash out the need for unionisation and strike action, as well as the dead-stop any endeavor at this inevitably leads to – "the bosses merely enquire who the leader is, and so kills them," we are told.

Jain does not await to provide answers to their predicament only instead allows his subjects to pose the questions, which linger menacingly in the air as the endmost credits curlicue. "People just come here, look at our problems and leave. Nobody is gear up to have whatsoever action," one man shouts at the picture show's climax. "Tell us what to do..."

To coincide with the powerful picture show's United kingdom of great britain and northern ireland release, we speak to the talented 25-year-old director to find out more almost the intentions behind it and the story of its making.

How did the thought for the film come about?

Rahul Jain: That'south a difficult question. Information technology's not a flick that y'all wake up one mean solar day and decide to make. I didn't empathise inequality, I was always curious nearly it, and about what I could do near it. I twenty-four hours my teacher, said, 'Y'all need to brand work about something you know, somewhere you experience like you vest.' That'south when the manufacturing plant idea first came to me.

My maternal grandfather owned a very similar textile manufacturing plant to the one in the picture show and I used to stay with him every summertime from the age of zero to five. I was never immune to get into the factory though, so I used to sneak in and walk effectually for hours. I call up the sensorial impressions that are imprinted upon my heed from that time, when I still didn't have the vocabulary to articulate what I experienced, accept remained very strong. So around the same time in 2013, the Rana Plaza accident happened in People's republic of bangladesh and I also chanced upon a volume called Workers by Sebastiao Salgado in my schoolhouse library. All these things coincided and I eventually asked my family if they could connect me with some other factory or dying mill in the area – this one was the well-nigh well-known, the one where all the labourers wanted to work.

So was part of your motivation a sense of personal guilt?

Rahul Jain: Absolutely there was class guilt, this work wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Tell me a bit about your determination not to include the names of any people or locations…

Rahul Jain: This was somewhat for the security of the people, including the boss, only also because there is no bespeak in finger pointing, or singling out one person or place. It'due south a consummate civilisational structure, a macro-level; I wanted people to call back about the bigger picture.

"At first, I worried, 'Am I simply going to make a work that'southward similar watching paint dry?' so asked my teacher this question, and he said, 'Well aren't the lives of these people in that location just like watching pigment dry?'" – Rahul Jain

So how political was your agenda going in?

Rahul Jain: When I first started location scouting, I went in with a very militant attitude; I kept trying to enhance political questions about pay and money explicitly in a manner that wasn't very calculated or respectful. I felt the problem was much further abroad from me. But once I started working with my cinematographer Rodrigo Trejo Villanueva, who has a very dissimilar fashion of seeing the world to me and who worked in a factory in Mexico City every bit a child, he made me realise that I had to take control of the situation and to calm downward. In one case I understood that my aesthetic sensibility calmed downwardly too.

In what way?

Rahul Jain: There are two different kinds of documentary filmmaking: one is more than in melody with the not-fictional moment, so you experience you need to get every bit much data – virtually the surroundings, the place, the people – down equally possible because the moment will elapse. The other method is calming accepting that life is just on loop, unfolding in its own way. Once I was able to go into that kind of rhythm, my manner of looking at this factory with a cinematic gaze inverse. At first, I worried, 'Am I just going to make a work that's similar watching paint dry out?' then asked my teacher this question, and he said, 'Well aren't the lives of these people there only similar watching pigment dry?" And I couldn't disagree.

You very much remove yourself from the picture. Was this a deliberate decision?

Rahul Jain: Admittedly. By the cease of the motion picture, the people I was working with thought I was crazy because I systematically wanted to remove every ounce of my presence from it. Firstly because I feel that the film is already from my perspective, in the way it comes beyond. I also think some people at my school were looking for this 1000 Buddha narrative: rich kid goes to poor factory and films, and this idea terrorised and mortified me – to think of the pic like this. Also because I wanted the audience to be involved in the dialogue with the workers, rather than acting as the conduit myself. Lastly, I was not interested in whatever consummation because in this world everything is always up in the air. Or rather it's downhill, like an avalanche, with no strength impeding the downward spiral.

Was it difficult not to answer their pleas for advice on irresolute their situation, or not to chastise the factory owner?

Rahul Jain:  Of grade, when the workers asked me what they should do, a part of my brain was screaming silently all kinds of things. But I didn't have any answers; I was a silent observer, near mute, taking refuge behind the viewfinder. And so with the dominate, y'all have to think that this guy isn't but ane person. His way of looking at things is societal; more than half the world thinks like him. It doesn't make it correct, but to recall that you lot can convert him by some ethereal goodness is a dreamy notion. My goal was just to engage him, while remaining true to myself, in order to invoke honest responses.

Did you do wider enquiry into the fast fashion industry as a whole alee of filming or was the goal e'er to keep it narrowed in?

Rahul Jain: I tried to continue it internalised within one ecosystem. I asked myself that question a lot – exercise I want the whole cake, or do I want a slice of life? I chose the latter: a densely packed, rich slice of life. I was terribly afraid of being the first time filmmaker who has besides much to say. Then restraint and refrain were very aggressive creative aspects of this.

Does this factory produce textiles for companies worldwide?

Rahul Jain:  Yes, very much so, for all the usual suspects – loftier street chains. I can't name them because I don't have definite proof, but from what the workers told me it was a wide net. And remember, it's just ane factory: there are 1300 factories in the space of 4 kilometers squared, employing more than a million and a one-half people.

Machines is out now – picket an exclusive clip from the movie below